Wednesday, July 29, 2015

For All Of The Cecils



In the past few days terrible images of a beloved lion from Zimbabwe named Cecil have been making worldwide headlines. Cecil, who was part of a research project for Oxford University and wore a tracking collar, was somehow found outside his normal protected area within the national park.

The gory details of his killing by American dentist, James Walter Palmer and others in his hunting party were revealed earlier this week while the actual death of Cecil occurred July 6th. Cecil was 13 years old and left behind his pride and cubs as well as the humans who cared for him dearly.

The cost of the thrill for the kill was about $55,000.00. Dr. Palmer’s cowardly actions along with the safari leader included luring Cecil out of his protected area, shooting him with a crossbow and then after he suffered, shot with a high powered rifle. The reason Cecil was killed? It wasn’t for protection, food or due to illness. It was  merely for the ‘trophy.’ Cecil was beheaded and skinned without reason just so the dear dentist could have the bragging rights of killing an animal in the wild which posed no threat to him.

Trophy hunting is not necessarily something new. Teddy Roosevelt was an avid hunter. It is said he and his son killed 512 animals while on safaris during the early 1900’s. In 2012 Donald Trumps’ sons, Eric and Donald Trump, Jr. were photographed during a hunting safari. Trump Jr. took to Twitter to brag about killing a leopard like a spoiled child touting a new toy.

Not long ago, Ian Gibson another American hunter with a long line of kills actually became the hunted. In mid- April, Mr. Gibson was guiding a hunting group as they stalked elephants. This time, the elephant, a large male, took Mr. Gibson to task. As the ‘mighty’ hunter raised his rifle, the bull charged him and violently gored him with his massive tusks.

Other hunting events have made the news, but the item quietly disappears. This one, however, might not leave our memories so quickly. Rarely do we hear about a safari killing involving an animal with a name. Cecil had an identity, he had following, he was famous in Zimbabwe, he was loved.

Hunting animals happens worldwide, not just in South Africa. Knowing animals are hunted just for the fun and trophy is extremely disheartening. Some animals are hunted for body parts used for furniture, decoration, aphrodisiacs and ‘natural health’ aides. The animals are not killed for food and once the desired parts are taken, the carcasses are discarded like garbage.

These treasured animals are part of our world and some are now close to extinction. I can think of so many lovely travel opportunities that can be purchased for $50,000.00. The thrill of the kill is not one. About 6 months ago I spoke with a prospective client from the Utah area. She told me their family, as well as another family, wanted to travel to South Africa for a safari journey. We discussed the budget which for both families would have exceeded $50,000.00 and I silently smiled. Before the conversation ended she added one more request. As I heard her request my heart broke and my stomach began to roll. The final request, permits for their rifles. It took a minute to compose my thoughts and take a deep breath. I explained to her that I could not help with her travel and could not support her version of safari or travel. Assisting this family with their travel would make me complicit in the murder of innocent animals in their own habitat all for the glory of a trophy. No amount of money could compel me to be part of such an ugly sport.

I had the opportunity to visit South Africa as part of a US Travel Delegation. The beauty of the country and learning about the culture first hand was a wonderful experience. For me as well as most of my companions, going out in the jeeps for several safari drives in one of the national parks was the ultimate of experiences. Viewing my first male lion in the dark of night was an indescribable. It took a while before I could steady my hands to shoot, not with a rifle, but with a camera. My lion was as majestic as could be and let out a roar which shook the park. Instinct let him know we were there to just say hello and appreciate his beauty. For the next few days, I marveled at seeing these elegant creatures of the bush, in their natural habitat, while respecting their home, and their boundaries. These are images so etched in my mind, I will never forget them and hope to have another safari opportunity along with my camera.

It is my prayer that Cecil’s death will not be in vain. Hopefully his unwarranted death will serve to change the laws in Zimbabwe and other destinations where hunters’ willfully kill for the thrill.

No comments: