Monday, December 29, 2008

They Had Travel Insurance

I know I have said it before to my clients and on this blog...Buy Travel Insurance. I am so glad I have clients who listened.

A new couple who have limited travel experienced called me as they were interested in joining their family vacationing in Jamaica this week. As always, I told them I always highly recommend travel insurance to cover the unknown which may happen while traveling. Thank goodness they listened! So after you read their experience, maybe the next time you travel you too will purchase insurance.

Late Sunday morning I listened to messages on my phone. One was from my clients calling from the airport. Their first flight was delayed, due to all the weather issues and they missed their connecting flight to Jamaica. Unfortunately, everything was sold out. The airline representative tried to get them on a flight that was so oversold they no longer had room on the waiting list. I also was not able to get them to another airport for a flight to the island either. So they needed to wait until the next morning to begin their vacation.

Calm, but very disappointed, my client asked me what they do now. The airlines had given them a list of area hotels which were discounting the room rate for those who missed flights. I then explained this is where the travel insurance will kick in. I explained to her the insurance which covers for delays will cover the cost of the hotel for one night, plus the reimbursement for the missed night at the resort. All they need to do is save the receipts for the hotel and other necessary expenses.

On my end, I contacted the hotel and shuttle service to rearrange their transportation to the hotel from the airport in Jamaica and to make sure the hotel would hold their room. This morning, a request for a claim was started and when they return, they will send their receipts and be reimbursed.

Of course, nothing can replace the lost day of the vacation, but at least the delay will not cost them additional dollars! So, next time you travel, ask what the policy covers. Be sure it covers delays. Accept the policy, consider it part of your vacation budget. Hopefully you will not need it, but it is nice to know you have it if a situation arises.

No comments: